Why being Weird =ballin!

The brilliant Margaret Cho
For months now, years even, I'd been fantasising, like every other budding teenage novelist, of writing THAT article, THAT blogpost, so quirky, so authentically raw that I would soar out of the depths of being unknown to being the greatest individual to yield virtual pen over nonexistent paper.

One could be forgiven for calling me out on my dreams to be a slightly less whinging, less millennial Suzy Weiss. You'd probably be right!

But it wasn't just words. I unashamedly admit, I wanted to be the next Mindy Kaling, the Malaysian-Indian Margaret Cho. The precocious teenager who questioned whether her identity should always be hyphenated, and thus alienated. The one who produced, at a startlingly fast pace, mini documentaries about poverty and socioeconomic justice to the background soundtrack of 'Talk Show Host' by Radiohead. 

I longed to come up with brilliant ideas, quotes of the century or even, worse comes to worst,  a simple algorithm to predict if the stock market would crash or compute data that like a nurse would measure the pulse of the economy. A junior Steven Hawking if fate permitted. The next Gordon Gekko, an economic genius. 

Just not, God forbid, Mediocre Mandy.

I dreamt of being invited to talk at the UN, and persuading people NOT to fight, in the name of the cause I passionately, ardently believed in- insert here something vaguely related to world peace. Trivially, I wanted to be the girl everybody fancied ; think The Plastics not Cady Heron.  I wanted to be the cool kid, with a name like Bebe Frika , whose family originated from some South American country, with a temperament of unmelted ice and the grace of a New York waiter serving pizza to the Bronx masses. 

Instead I was me (lolz). Loud, a quirky girl whose passions ranged from ancient history to biochemistry to modern economics applied to pop culture. I was not tall and rangy, with effortless grace, I was short and *cough endearingly* klutzy with enough chutzpah to make the adults pay enough attention before I could add my 5o cents about politics, annoying enough to ensure the children never left me out too long of their games. 

I am weird. That's great. Because every single famous person/band/group I mentioned was famous for being weird/not following the social norm. They didn't fit in the traditional social spectrum, and chances are they didn't become famous for following something someone else  did. True they became famous for doing, essentially weird things - I mean come on, how is normal is discovering black holes leak energy into space? Yes, I'm totally looking at you, Steve.
So, basically, like, I'm like telling myself being weird weird is okay as long as it's like totally MY kind of, like weird and not trying to copy anyone else's kind of weird and somehow, like it's basically gonna translate into being famous. #$$$anybody #justweirdthings

I suppose the point, if there ever is a point , is that you do you. And guess what we can still do all those things. Except maybe become Gordon Gekko (have ethics, right? XD) To end it all:



'You go Glen Coco!'- unknown_girl2345 (there, I finally coined one, Pa!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sock and a half

Migozarad

A Faraway Loving