CONSPIRACY: BUZZFEED ISNT NICE? & COLLEGE WOES

Reading about Buzzfeed being ev-eel just topped the my day. Like a soggy, purple cherry on an already rapidly collapsing cake, just like Uncle Joe's 80's hairdo.

Cringe. Like yeah. Totally cringe. I thought Buzzfeed was all over supporting minorities and making minorities HEARD, you know? Like all those 'Children of Immigrants Thank their parents', 'Things That ______(insert ethnic minority) parents say' made us, the gullible, faceless Internet netizens think. Turns out they do provide a platform to up and coming young people, certainly young people of colour; they just don't get paid very well at all.

This news sort of wormed its way into an already strange day. I was researching , or more aptly, obsessively googling which colleges were my best fit.

Constantly torn between applying to liberal, women-only colleges and applying to more practical, business-oriented, co-ed ones . People never tell you how hard choosing colleges are! I literally was left on my own. It was a painful and liberating experience, choosing colleges and as of now, I still haven't concretely decided.

I am however, rather solidly decided on the UK front, it shall be PPE for me. I just didn't think I could cope with 3 solid years of accounting and finance... and JUST accounting and finance. I worry about LSE though- A*AA is a pretty steep offer, for maths. Well, fingers crossed and waiting for the results.

My main hopes, however, are as set firmly as ever upon the US of A. That's right- I'm gonna be unabashedly chasing the American dream. Would THEY accept me? I mean, if necessary, I could write my whole essay on how much I love America- because I do!

*LOVE MEEEE!!!
Reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, bless her excellent writing, just strengthened my desire to attend a college in the USA. I cannot express how deep the longing was at the time. The moment of pride anyone American has when they say they are American. Why, I bought into it lock, stock and barrel!

I longed to say I was American too. I felt like an outsider here and well, I had a pretty American accent. I love McDonalds too. And apple pie. And I mispronounce fancy words, just kidding!

No, I mean, I do occasionally mispronounce the words, I just mean it's not necessarily an American trait to do so. Or is it? *wink!*

I should probably be writing my essay-thesis on anti-semitism. UGH! Wish me luck, please!

Love,
Americanah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sock and a half

Migozarad

A Faraway Loving